Saturday 29 May 2010

Crystal Castles - Crimewave




Crystal Castles has with their sound and attitude caught something in their music, which I truly can relate to.

Emptiness, dreams (hope), and more emptiness… Moreover their music actually sounds like something, which has been made in this millennium.

I think Crimewave is a perfect pop tune and one of their best songs. It’s extremely stylish, sexy and fits exceptionally well to Crystal Castles’ visual identity.

Many seem to dislike the fact that you can’t hear what lead singer Alice Glass singing, but I think that’s a very conservative and superficial way to dismiss the song as an aesthetic statement.

The structure of the song is also very special. They have (just) taken the lyrics from Health’s original version and repeated it eight times.
“Eyes lit
I pawn short breaths
A fawn's dark eye lids
But life's breath like a sun against my head”
… a little pop minimalistic master stroke!

No comments:

Post a Comment